Thursday, January 31, 2013

Groundhog Persuasive Writing Freebie

I am getting this up a little later than I had hoped, but between "snow"days and report cards, I have been really overwhelmed! I am trying to incorporate more persuasive pieces of writing in throughout the year now that we are teaching the Common Core.  I made this writing activity and thought I would share it with everyone.  It basically has the kiddos decide whether they want 6 more weeks of winter or spring to begin.  We had a discussion about Groundhog's Day and what seeing his shadow would mean.  After they decided what they wanted, they had to brainstorm reasons to support that decision. This has a planning sheet to help with that.  Last, they write a letter to the groundhog trying to persuade him to see or not see his shadow.  The class enjoyed it and some of the reasons were a lot of fun to read.  The font is from The Tattooed Teacher - which if you don't follow her, you really should!  She has great stuff and is fun to read. Juli has been working on a unit she got from Rachel and is loving it. She will be blogging about it soon.  I am stalking her matter unit that I hope to snag on one of these TPT sales soon.  Please feel free to use the Groundhog Writing this year - or maybe next year since I am behind in getting it shared.  Click HERE to grab your copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment