Saturday, June 9, 2012

Invent An Insect




So Juli and I are both completely addicted to Pinterest, esp. for school ideas.  I found the best activity for the kiddos to complete our study of insects. It is originally from Mrs. Miner's Kindergarten Monkey Business.  She gave this activity away as a freebie on her blog and I am so glad she did.  I gave the students the labels from the freebie and told them to create a new insect.  Using everything we had learned, the students knew exactly how to draw an insect correctly and place the labels.  I told them to think about their insect's characteristics as they drew so it would fit what the insect looked like. Some completely got that and made their insect brightly colored because it was going to be a poisonous insect. Others included different types of camouflage based on where they had decided their insect was going to live.   After creating a new insect, they had to write about it. They had to tell what it would eat, where it would live, etc.  They all decided that their insect went through complete metamorphosis.  Apparently no one in my room was all that impressed with the crickets and their incomplete metamorphosis!  The kids really got into designing an insect that reflected them as well which I thought was cute.  One little girl loved our Earth Day/Lorax unit so much that she made the Lorax bug - so cute!  It even sort of looks like him!  I put a few examples below.  While I know that most of us are out of school or on our way out, I wanted to share this great idea from Mrs. Miner so you could file away for next year.



Thank you again Mrs. Miner for the wonderful freebie!  A link to her site is below:
                                                                Mrs. Miner's Kindergarten Monkey Business 

Heather

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather!! I just found your blog from Farley's link up and I'm your newest follower :) Thanks for sharing this great idea!

    Katie
    Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids got so into insects when we studied them as well. I love your example of having them create their own! I'll have to remember that for next year!

    Your blog is super cute, so I nominated you for a bloggy award! Stop by my page to pick it up!

    dede @ 1stgradeevents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete