Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Spring is in the Air!!!

Spring may just be my most favorite time of the year!!!  Especially with the extra long winter that we have had this year, it is a welcome sight in my eyes.  Since summer in North Carolina can be a little rough, Spring is just the best time.  Warm temperatures, abundant sunshine, Carolina Blue skies, and no HUMIDITY!!!  Perfection, if you ask me.

One of the things that I love to do most with my class is garden.  Typically, I begin planting with my kids in late January and early February.  But considering this winter has been horrible and just last weekend it was 24 degrees, gardening has been delayed!

I think now that our freeze warnings are behind us, it's time to get our hands dirty!!!  A local nursery donated brand new dirt for us and we shoveled it in this week.


I am excited to get my kids out there in those beds and begin planting.  We will be partnering with our PTO this year as an economics lesson.  My students will be growing, harvesting, and then on Fridays selling their plants at our school's Farmer's Market!  All the money earned will be donated back to our PTO.  I am so excited to get started!

First up this week is one of my favorite activities from a fellow NC blogger.  Rachel Lamb, also known as The Tattooed Teacher, has made a really cute little gardening activity that I highly recommend.  I always begin my gardening with this cute activity.  Be sure to check it out!!


No comments:

Post a Comment